Elasticsearch Server Third Edition
Released in February 2016, the Elasticsearch Server Third Edition is the third installment of the Elasticsearch Server books published by Packt Publishing.
The book was written using Elasticsearch 2.2 and all the material in it is updated to match that version. We used different Elasticsearch versions during writing and we decided to leave some of the material for those of you out there still using older versions of Elasticsearch. Please remember that the book audience is those of you how are new to Elasticsearch or have intermediate Elasticsearch knowledge.
A few words about the book itself – it has been revised and rewritten according to the comments we’ve got from you – the readers and based on what we though you will benefit from. Of course, we also introduced additional content to describe the new features in Elasticsearch 2.2. In some parts of the book we also mention features that were removed starting from Elasticsearch 2.0, but you’ll have a clear information that this is related to older versions of this great search and analytics engine.
The book contains following chapters:
- Getting Started with Elasticsearch Cluster (general introduction to Elasticsearch, glossary, installing Elasticsearch, basic operations like indexing, querying and deleting)
- Indexing Your Data (indexing in details, data structure, mappings, analysis, segment merging and routing)
- Searching Your Data (querying in details, type of queries and queries discussed and choosing the right query for the job)
- Extending Your Querying Knowledge (highlighting, validation, sorting, filtering changes and query rewrite)
- Extending Your Index Structure (more on index structure, indexing relational data and index structure modification)
- Make Your Search Better (scoring in details, scripting, boosting, multilingual data handling and synonyms)
- Aggregations For Data Analysis (whole chapter dedicated to aggregations – metrics ones, bucket ones and new pipeline ones)
- Beyond Full-Text Searching (percolation, geospatial search, suggesters and scroll API)
- Elasticsearch Cluster in Detail (node discovery, gateway, recovery, templates and dynamic templates, plugins and caches)
- Administrating Your Cluster (backing up, monitoring API, shard allocation control, various ops API’s, warming up and aliases)
- Scaling by Example (hardware considerations, tuning single Elasticsearch node, vertical expansion, preparation for high indexing and querying throughput, monitoring solutions)
Mastering Elasticsearch Second Edition
Second edition of our Mastering Elasticsearch server published in March 2015. The book was written using Elasticsearch 1.4 and also includes information covering some aspects of later releases (like query benchmarking).
First of all, we would like to say that this book is not one that you take and learn Elasticsearch from scratch. We expect the reader to already know part of Elasticsearch. Basically it is targeted for users that would like to extend their knowledge about Elasticsearch. If you are looking for a book that will guide you from scratch, please look at our second book – Elasticsearch Server Second Edition. However if you are looking for a book that will help you extend your knowledge about Elasticsearch, this may be a good position to read and help yourself. The book itself is not only an update to Mastering Elasticsearch, which was also released by Packt Publishing, but also a rewrite and restructuring of the book based on the comments from the readers. The content of the book is slightly similar to what could have been found in the first edition of the book, but re-written and of course extended.
The book was divided into nine chapters:
- Chapter 1, Introduction – shows you how Apache Lucene works on the higher level and re-introduces you to the world of Elasticsearch describing the basic concepts.
- Chapter 2, Power User Query DSL – covers Apache Lucene scoring, queries rewrites, queries templates. In addition to that it shows you why you should use filters and which queries to use in a particular use-case with description why.
- Chapter 3, Not Only Full Text Search – queries rescoring, multi-matching control and description of very highly anticipated aggregations – significant terms and top terms. It also covers scripting and relationships between documents in Elasticsearch.
- Chapter 4, Improving the User Search Experience – introduces the reader to the world of suggesters based on Wikipedia example data (when it comes to terms and phrase suggesters). Similar to the previous edition of the book, this chapter also includes information on improving query relevance with extensive example of such tuning.
- Chapter 5, The Index Distribution Architecture – covers how to chose the right amount of shards and replicas, how routing works, how shard allocation works and how to change its behavior. Finally query execution preference is also discussed in this chapter, so it allows you to design your indices and query execution properly.
- Chapter 6, Low-level Index Control – covers Apache Lucene scoring, similarities implementations and how they affect the scoring. It shows you what NRT is about, what transaction log is and how to adjust it depending on your use case. Finally we jump into segment merging, caching and circuit breakers.
- Chapter 7, Elasticsearch Administration – a few words (one could write more than one book about that topic) on discovery configuration, gateway module configuration and why you should bother. We also discuss tribe nodes allowing federated search across multiple clusters, Cat API and snapshot backup and restore to different cloud service providers.
- Chapter 8, Improving Performance – a chapter dedicated to performance related topics, which covers things like doc values usage, JVM garbage collector work, queries benchmarking and preparing Elasticsearch for high indexing and querying use cases.
- Chapter 9, Developing Elasticsearch Plugins – a final chapter targeted at users who would like to develop their own Elasticearch plug-ins. We start with showing the basics of what needs to be done in order to develop Elasticsearch plug-in and we show two simple implementations – REST API handler and language analysis extension.
Elasticsearch Server Second Edition
Second edition of the first book about Elasticsearch published in February 2013. The book was written using Elasticsearch 1.0 and all the material in it is updated to match that version. In addition to that, the whole book was revised with major parts of it rewritten to match the comments we got, both from readers and during Japanese translation of the first edition of the book. Of course, we also introduced additional content to describe the new features in Elasticsearch 1.0. The book is dedicated to novice readers who wants to start their journey with Elasticsearch and to intermediate readers who want to get deeper into this great search and analytics software.
The book contains the following chapters:
- Getting Started with Elasticsearch (example topics: introduction to full text searching and text analysis, Elasticsearch basics and installation, data manipulation and searching)
- Indexing Your Data (example topics: indexing and batch indexing, mapping configuration, segments merging and routing)
- Searching Your Data (example topics: querying and how it works, basic and composed queries, filtering, sorting)
- Extending Your Index Structure (example topics: structured data indexing, using nested and parent – child functionality)
- Make Your Search Better (example topics: scoring, scripting, influencing scoring, synonyms)
- Beyond Full Text Searching (example topics: aggregations, faceting, suggesters, percolator)
- Elasticsearch cluster in details (example topics: discovery module, recovery and gateway modules, tunning)
- Administrating your cluster (example topics: snapshotting, monitoring, shards handling, warming up, aliases)
If you are interested in the book, please go to our publisher site: http://www.packtpub.com/elasticsearch-server-2e/book.
Second book from Marek and Rafał concentrated on ElasticSearch enterprise search server, this time based on the 0.90.x. The book tries to guide the reader through the more complicated topics regarding ElasticSearch. It allows the reader to understand the internals of ElasticSearch, like scoring, different similarities, postings formats. It shows how to choose the right amount of shards and replicas, adjust shard allocation, improve user search experience. We hope that it will allow you to get deeper knowledge about ElasticSearch and help you with your work, whether you are a developer or administrator.
Example topics covered by the book include:
- Understanding Lucene Apache scoring and how to alter it
- Query rescore
- Deep look into the shard allocation
- When and why to use different postings formats
- Monitoring your cluster
- Understanding segment merging and controlling it
- Understand how JVM garbage collector works and how to overcome problems with it
- Improve user search experience
- Using ElasticSearch Java API
- Extending ElasticSearch with your own plugins
If you are interested in the book, please go to our publisher site: https://www.packtpub.com/mastering-elasticsearch-querying-and-data-handling/book.
First book dedicated to ElasticSearch enterprise search server based on the 0.20 version. The book tries to guide the reader through the most commonly used features of ElasticSearch, so that creating your own application bases on this search server is as simple as possible. By reading the book you’ll be introduced to the world of ElasticSearch. You’ll see how to index data, query it and administer your clusters. However, you should remember that ElasticSearch is so reach in different features that its impossible to discuss them all in a single book.
Example topics covered by the book include:
- Creating index structures, both dynamic and static way
- Querying with Query DSL examples and description
- Indexing data that is not flat
- Handling multiple languages
- What percolator is and how to use it
- Monitoring and being a fireman
- And many, many more 🙂
If you are interested in the book, please go to our publisher site: http://www.packtpub.com/elasticsearch-server-for-fast-scalable-flexible-search-solution/book.